Home » Poetry Interpretation

Poetry Interpretation

“Between Us Now”

By: Thomas Hardy 

As I read this poem, I noticed initial things such as dashes where you see pauses in the poem to add meaning to the line. I noticed how the poem has repeated phrases such as “ have”  or “who” after another line. I see some imagery in this poem such as “Face unto face, then say..”. You can see how the structure in this poem is more open than close and how it’s split into three somewhat equal stanzas. This is significant because this structure gives away what the poem could be like based on what you first see.  The relationship between my finding is that some have a part of the meaning of the poem and how it’s shown such as having imagery, repetition, and rhymes that captivates a message to the audience while reading the poem. Based on my predictions, I can say that this poem is about two people that are both opposites. There’s this thing that they both now share which I based on the title and connected it to the lines “Who see the scenes slide past” you can infer that this is a part of memory. The keyword being “scenes”. Then in the last stanza, it talks about heart beating, meaning it has to be someone that they care about. Putting together you can see these two individuals have a memory they both share and something happened because then it transitions with “When false things are brought low”. This can signify that something happened that wasn’t true which broke off this relationship or how this could have affected the relationship. To where you can see a question asked and makes meaning. Then it talks about a guarded tongue which could correlate to the false things it could be a person who broke this relationship or this person being talked about.  The overall theme of this poem is gaining someone but also friendship because of the way something structured it.  The poem is about two people who cared about each other etc that disguise the truth so now this memory is just between them.